Menu Close
Sub Menu

Character Virtues in Business & Finance

Project Overview

The Character and Virtues in Business and Finance project is one of three projects that has explored the ethics of professionals in the second phase of work in the Jubilee Centre, 2015–2017. The project examined what students and alumni of British business schools say about character and virtues in business and finance professions, and the extent to which such students and alumni drew on virtue-based reasoning when confronted with ethical dilemmas.

Read our Virtue Insight blog on ethics in business and finance 

Methodology

The study adopted a cross-sectional, mixed-methods approach. Respondents were drawn from three career stages: first year undergraduates at the beginning of their course of study, final year students about the graduate, and alumni with at least 5 years work experience. In addition to the quantitative survey, a sample of participants were interviewed, as were business ethics educators at Higher Education institutions.

Literature Review & Findings

A comprehensive literature review was undertaken during the first stage of the project to get an overview of the state of play of virtue ethics in the field of business and finance. While virtue ethics has become fashionable in the field of business ethics, approaches based on its deontological and consequentialist rivals still dominate. This is especially true in the case of empirical research into business ethics.

Appendices

The online appendices for the Character Virtues in Business and Finance report can be downloaded below:

Project Summary

Project Overview

Methodology

Literature Review & Findings

Project Milestones

The research report was launched at the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) in London on Wednesday 27th September 2017.