Menu Close
Sub Menu

Professor of Ethics and Emotion Theory: Professor Robert C. Roberts

Robert C. Roberts is Professor of Ethics and Emotion Theory at the Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues, has a joint Chair with the Royal Institute of Philosophy, and is also a Scholar with the project Virtue, Happiness, & the Meaning of Life at the University of Chicago. Professor Roberts received his Ph.D from Yale University in 1974 and has taught at Western Kentucky University (1973–1984) and Wheaton College (1984–2000), and Baylor University (2000–2015), where he retains Resident Scholar status in the Institute for Studies of Religion. He has received research grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Pew Charitable Trusts, and Notre Dame’s Center for Philosophy of Religion. He is currently a recipient, with Michael Spezio, of a grant from the Self, Motivation, and Virtue Project at the Institute for the Study of Human Flourishing at the University of Oklahoma, for a study of Humility in Loving Encounter.

Email: r.c.roberts@bham.ac.uk

CV: available here.

Principal Interests

Research interests include: Ethics (especially Virtue Ethics), Kierkegaard, Emotion Theory, Moral Psychology, Epistemology

Publications

Recent Publications:

Journal Articles:

Roberts, R. (with Ryan West, 2015): “Natural Epistemic Defects and Corrective Virtues,” Synthèse 192: 2557–2576.

Roberts, R. (2015) “The Normative and the Empirical in the Study of Gratitude” in Res Philosophica 92: 883–914.

Roberts, R. (2014) “Cosmic Gratitude,” European Journal for Philosophy of Religion 6: 65–83.

Papers in collections:

Roberts, R. (2016) “Learning Intellectual Humility.” In Jason Baehr, editor, Intellectual Virtues and Education: Essays in Applied Virtue Epistemology (Routledge), pp. 184–201.

Roberts, R. (2016) “Gratitude and Humility.” In David Carr, editor, Perspectives on Gratitude: An Interdisciplinary Approach (Routledge). Pp. 57–69.

Roberts, R. (2015) “Does Virtue Contribute to Flourishing?” in Mark Alfano, editor, Current Controversies in Virtue Theory (Routledge), pp. 36–49

Books:

Roberts, R. (2013) Emotions in the Moral Life, Cambridge University Press.

Roberts, R. (2007) Spiritual Emotions: A Psychology of Christian Virtues (Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company)

Roberts, R. (2007) (co-authored with Jay Wood): Intellectual Virtues: An Essay in Regulative Epistemology (Oxford: Clarendon Press)

For a more extensive list of publications by Professor Roberts please click here.