Menu Close
Sub Menu

Affiliate PhD Students

Profiles of the PhD students associated with the Jubilee Centre can be found below.

Yousra Osman

Yousra Osman is a PhD student at the Jubilee Centre supervised by Prof. Kristján Kristjánsson and Dr Tom Harrison. Her doctoral thesis involves examining the effects of teaching Aristotelian virtues through role models to school children in the UK and Saudi Arabia.

Prior to her enrolment at the University of Birmingham, she completed her bachelors in English Literature and Language from the American University of Sharjah in the UAE, as well as two masters' degrees, one in English Literature from the University of Westminster, and the other in Mental Health from Queen Mary University of London. She also has experience of teaching English as a second language to children and adults. However, it is her interdisciplinary academic background in analysing human behaviour through literature and psychology which initiated her interest in character education; while her intention to implement it in Saudi Arabia is due to her Middle Eastern background. 

John Harrison

John Harrison is a part-time PhD student currently conducting a phenomenological exploration into the ways in which humour is used communicatively to enrich the relationships between nurse mentors and student nurses.

He is a Senior Lecturer in Children’s Nursing and part of the Department for Children and Young People’s Health team at Birmingham City University (BCU). In addition, he is the module coordinator for the Nursing Practice 2 module which is taught as part of the BSc Children’s Nursing Programme at BCU.

Dr Sabena Y Jameel

Sabena is a GP and Constructivist Medical Educator with a particular interest in metacognitive aspects of learning and tacit knowledge. She enjoys delivering sessions on reflective practice, communication skills, compassion and self-awareness and is also involved in Quality Management of General Practice and Foundation training.

Her PhD is a study looking at the enactment of Phronesis (Practical Wisdom) in General Practitioners with the aim to provide clues as to the important aspects of education and training that could be developed in order to look at ways of considering a wisdom approach to medical education.

Somia Nasim

Somia Nasim is a first year PhD student, supervised by Professor James Arthur and Dr Tom Harrison, exploring the relationship between examination and character education policy and practice in England. 

Somia’s experience within educational research span’s over 15 years with the last 8 years working for QCA and Ofqual at a management and senior researcher level. Her research interests include general and vocational policy reform, assessment and qualifications, regulation, school and teacher ethics and character education.