Sub Menu

Director: Professor James Arthur

James Arthur is Head of the School of Education and Professor of Education and Civic Engagement and Director of the Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues. James has been Head of the School of Education since 2010. He is Editor of the British Journal of Educational Studies and Director of CitizED. He has written widely on the relationship between theory and practice in education, particularly the links between communitarianism, social virtues, citizenship, religion and education. He recently directed the Learning for Life project which completed the largest UK-based study into issues surrounding character development, looking at over 70,000 responses from young people aged 3-25

Contact details

Telephone: +44 (0)121 414 5596

Email: j.arthur@bham.ac.uk

Room 1249
12th Floor (West) Muirhead Tower
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston, Birmingham
B15 2TT, United Kingdom

Qualifications
  • D.Phil (Oxon)
  • MSc
Research

His major research activities currently involve the aspirations and character formation of young people in deprived areas. He is Director of Citized – an organisation (funded by the TDA) in higher education promoting citizenship and is Director of a major research project on young people’s values and character dispositions (see Learning for Life and Citized). He was a member of the National Forum for Values in Education and the Community. He has participated in various consultations with QCA about values education, and was a member of the History Task Group of the National Curriculum Council to revise the National Curriculum, and has since been a member of a sub-group of the Citizenship Working Party as well as a member of groups on citizenship and personal and social education in the DCSF and in the Teacher Development Agency.

Selected publications

Academic Journal Articles

Arthur, J. (2011) Personal Character and Tomorrow's Citizens: Student Expectations of their Teachers, International Journal of Educational Research Vol. 50 No. 3, 184-189 DOI:10.1016/j.ijer.2011.07.001

Arthur, J. (2011) Inter-Cultural versus Inter-Religious Dialogue in a Pluralist Europe, Policy Futures in Education. Vol 9, No1, 74-80 DOI: 10.2304/pfie.2011.9.1.74

Arthur, J. (2011) Religious and Spiritual Markers in Community Involvement, British Journal of Religious Education. ISSN: 0141-6200 DOI:10.1080/01416200.2011.595914

Arthur, J. (2008)  Learning Under the Cross: Legal Challenges to ‘Cultural –Religious Symbolism’ in Public Schools,  Education and the Law,  20,  4,  337-350.  ISSN: 0953-9964.

Authored Books

Arthur, J., and Lovat, T., (eds.) (forthcoming 2012) International Handbook of Religion and Values, Routledge, London.

Arthur, J., Waring, M., and Coe, R., (eds.) (forthcoming 2012) (eds.) Research Methods in Educational Research, Sage, London

Arthur, J. and Peterson, A., (2011) (eds.) The Routledge Companion to Education, Routledge, London.Arthur J., and Cremin, H., (2011) (eds.) Debates in Citizenship Education, Routledge,London.

Arthur, J. (2010). Of Good Character: Exploration of Virtues in Values in 3-25 Year Olds Exeter: Imprint Academic.

Arthur, J. (2010) New Direction in Character and Values Education Research, Imprint Academic, 250 pages, ISBN: 9781845402112.

Arthur, J. (2010) Education, Identity and Religion, London: Routledge.

Chapters in Books

Arthur, J. (2011) Is it appropriate to teach students about morality and values? (pp 100-107) in Lexman, J and Grist, M (2011) The Character Inquiry, London, DEMOS.