Tap here to discover more about Putney High School

Jubilee Awards for Service

Launch of new Jubilee Awards for Service Youth Award.

Do you know a young person aged 10-20 who deserves to be recognised and rewarded for outstanding social action – practical action in the service of others?

The Jubilee Awards for Service recognise outstanding service in the public sector. In 2014 for the first time, inspired by the Step Up To Serve campaign, the Jubilee Awards will also recognise young people who participate in social action; this could be through volunteering or fundraising, caring for people or providing mentoring support in school, running campaigns or being part of a social enterprise.

These special youth awards will showcase gratitude for the outstanding social action undertaken by young people in the UK, and the contribution they make to our society. There will be two awards available: one for young people aged 10-15, and one for young people aged 16-20. Nominations will be judged by a prominent panel, and award winners will be invited to attend a special ceremony at the House of Lords on 24th July 2014, hosted by Lord Watson, where they will be presented with their awards. All nominations will be acknowledged and award winners will have their stories included in the Jubilee Awards for Service Magazine.

You can nominate a young person by emailing Jenny Higgins at j.higgins@bham.ac.uk, explaining why you believe the young person you are nominating deserves an award, or you can submit this form. Nominations are due by 16th June 2014.

Jubilee Awards for Service 2014 - Excellence in the Public Sector

Nominations for the 2014 Jubilee Awards for Service (Adult Awards) are now closed! The 2014 nominations are currently being judged and Award Winners will be announced prior to the awards ceremony in July.

The prestigious Jubilee Awards recognise outstanding service in the public sector. The 2014 awards ceremony will be hosted at the House of Lords on Thursday 24th July.

Nominees should be those who have shown dedication in a role such as:

• Doctors
  • Nurses 
  • Medical Support roles 
  • Local Authority Teacher and Teaching Support 
  • Police Service 
  • Fire Service 
  • Environmental Services 
  • Library and Museum Services

The Jubilee Awards for Service are awarded to individuals rather than organisations. The awards are judged by a panel based on information given by nominators and one additional referee. They are not meant to be an endorsement of the organisations for which they work but a celebration of individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to their community that has been recognised by others who know them.

Nominations will be judged by a prominent panel, and all shortlisted nominees will be invited to attend a special ceremony at the House of Lords, hosted by Lord Watson, where winners will be presented with their awards. All nominations will be acknowledged and shortlisted nominees will have their stories included in the Jubilee Awards for Service Magazine and hosted on the website. These awards showcase gratitude for the outstanding service provided by public sector workers and promote the value of the public sector. 

To nominate someone, complete the nomination form below, or request a form to be posted out to you by calling 0121 414 4803 or emailing v.j.hogan@bham.ac.uk.

Nominations close on the 30th April 2014.

The brochure from last year's winners can be viewed online as an e-magazine here or downloaded here.

If you would like information about the Jubilee Awards for Service 2014, please contact Jenny Higgins at j.higgins@bham.ac.uk or call 0121 414 4803.

Last Year's Winners

Jubilee Award winners enjoy afternoon tea in the House of Lords.

"Public service is the glue which holds our society together, but too often it remains invisible and as a result is taken for granted. I'm delighted that the Jubilee Awards for Service are recognising the outstanding contributions that all of these inspirational leaders have made to their local community. The awards are for them but also for the thousands of other volunteers and public sector workers who make such a valuable contribution to everybody's life in modern Britain.”

Keith Heron

Overall Winner

Ms Noran Flynn ~ Nechells POD Education Action Zone Director 

Noran has worked in education for over thirty years in a variety of roles including as a secondary school teacher, an advisory teacher for autism and an officer with responsibility for community safety.  Her current role is Education Action Zone Director, where she established the POD Community Interest Company in the heart of one of the most disadvantaged areas of Birmingham, working tirelessly to support eight schools in raising standards and improving educational attainment.

Kathryn Bloomfield | London Fire Brigade, Community Safety Manager

Kathryn has been with London Fire Brigade for over 22 years, demonstrating commitment to the service, her colleagues and the people of London from the beginning. Her achievements include establishing a project with volunteers from local communities to support fire victims, and designing educational packages for children with Special Educational Needs.

David King | Watch Manager, Porthcrawl Fire Station

David has worked worked for the Fire & Rescue Service for 43 years as a member of the 'retained duty system' at Porthcrawl Fire Station. Dave's dedication to his community is second to none, providing in excess of 90 hours per week on-call commitment as a fire-fighter for the duration of his career, and he is currently the longest serving fire-fighter in the South Wales Fire & Rescue Service. As the 'officer in charge' of Porthcrawl Fire Station, Dave ensures high standards and levels of performance are maintained, and that his station is at the forefront of essential public services by carrying out fire safety work to reduce risks to people in the local community.

Terry Rodgers | Street Cleaning Operative

Terry has given over 50 years' service to the borough of Rushmoor. Now ages 72, Terry still works full time driving a road sweeper and is always available to help in an emergency, taking great pride in his work and providing a first rate service to the tax payer.

Simon Hensley | Neighbourhood Police Sergeant

Sergeant Hensley has been the catalyst for a large scale community rejuvenation in Stockland Green, enthusing the community and inspiring organisations to get involved. His work has included providing bespoke community provision in one of the most deprived areas of Birmingham.

Ian Sheard | Support Worker for the Advance Enablement Project

Ian works with adults with learning disabilities, encouraging participation and inclusion within the community and in society. Ian works with stores and libraries to identify work placements for the service user group and provides on-going support which can often be life changing. Ian is a kind and thoughtful man and is a team player; he has a 'can do' attitude and is unafraid of stepping outside his job description if this is in the best interests of the service users.

Tanya Kenny-Paker | Manager, The Haven Day Centre

Tanya is a manager of The Haven Day Centre, providing a service to 30 older people with physical disabilities, sensory impairment or mental health problems. Tanya is an inspirational and highly committed manager who runs a service of very high quality, providing individually tailored care and a rich variety of activity programmes for each service user.

Dr Jane Risdall | Surgeon Commander

Dr Jane Risdall has demonstrated an inspirational devotion to her medical practice and research into traumatic brain injury at the same time as contributing substantially to local and national community activities. Jane also continues to serve in the Royal Navy while undertaking a full time clinical commitment at Addenbrooke's Hospital.

Rita Liddle | District Nurse

Rita Liddle has dedicated her life to working in the community as a District Nurse for the NHS in Derby. She started training as a nurse in 1973 and retired last year after 40 years ion the profession, even continuing to work after suffering a stroke in May 2011. Rita always turned down any offer of management work, as she always felt the need and desire to be 'hands on'. Throughout her years as a nurse, Rita has a maintained her sense of humour, and her determination and dedication to the nursing profession is second to none.

Anne Fenton | Home Manager

Anne has worked for Birmingham City Council for 32 years in residential services for children, and for the past 8 years has managed a Home for 16 children with profound disabilities. Anne supports parents and staff through very difficult times and works closely with health colleagues to ensure the children have the best care, regularly advocating for the children when they are moving on to an adult placement.

Juliet Parker-Smith | Manager, Trewern Outdoor Centre

Juliet Parker-Smith manages the Trewern Outdoor Centre. Over the years thousands of young people have experienced spending time at this centre near the Black Mountains. Juliet has constantly developed new experiential learning activities and ensures that young people experience a wide range of educational experiences in an environment which contrasts with their home area in East London.

Dr David Rose | Principal Clinical Psychologist

Dr David Rose has been the driving force behind the Specialist Learning Disability Dementia Service since before its establishment in 2008. His energy and commitment have been instrumental in making the service effective and collaborative, focusing on the needs of carers and family as well as the person with dementia, and making a real difference to some of the most vulnerable people in Dudley.