menu
Sub Menu

MA in Character Education

The School of Education at the University of Birmingham has launched an exciting new MA in Character Education.

This distance learning programme willcommence in September 2016; taught by expert members of the Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues. 

This MA programme, the first of its kind, will give students across the globe access to the latest research on character education and equip them with the tools to enable them to subsume it into their own practice. The programme will enhance cross-cultural knowledge, understanding and learning about the theory and practice of character education, bringing benefits to both individuals and societies. The design of the programme will allow room for student to student, and student to teacher, debate, dialogue and critical analysis of the link between character virtues and individual and societal flourishing. 

The programme will provide students with a broad multidisciplinary knowledge and understanding of how key theories in psychology, philosophy and education inform planning, administration, policy and professional practice. Through modules including various forms of assessment, and dedicated personal tutorial support, students will learn to critically evaluate education research from theoretical and methodological perspectives in order to contribute to character education, and will gain fundamental skills in data analysis and critical thinking, which can be applied to their own professional contexts. 

This programme is aimed primarily at those looking to establish new, or enhance existing, knowledge and skills in the field of character education. Studying at a distance means students can learn from anywhere, such as at home or in the workplace, in the UK or overseas.

Modules on the programme will include:

Research Methods in Character Education

Theories of Character, Virtues and Flourishing

Interventions in Character Education

School and Organisational Approaches to Character Education

History and Politics of Character Education

The Virtuous Practitioner

Further details of the programme are available on the course page. To find out more, and to register your interest, please contact Dr Tom Harrison on t.j.harrison@bham.ac.uk / 0121 4144812