menu
Sub Menu

Online Learning

The Jubilee Centre seeks to provides its audiences with as many different and engaging ways to interact with its work and resources as possible. Online Learning is a growing area of development in Higher Education, and one which the Centre seeks to actively engage with. Find out more about key Online Learning opportunities, including an MA in Character Education and short free online courses, below:

MA in Character Education

In 2016, the School of Education at the University of Birmingham introduced the world's first MA in Character Education.

This distance learning programme is taught by expert members of the Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues. You can apply for a place now.

This MA programme, the first of its kind, gives students across the globe access to the latest research on character education and equips them with the tools to enable them to subsume it into their own practice. The Programme focuses on the theory and practice of human flourishing and adopts a broad understanding of character – encompassing aspects of wellbeing, moral and virtue education, ethics, citizenship, positive education and social and emotional education. In exploring different aspects of character education, the Programme covers a range of topics, including: theories of flourishing; researching character education; the history and politics of character education; leadership in character education; and, running character interventions in schools.

We are delighted to welcome students on to the Programme from around the world and from a range of sectors; including education (both formal and non-formal), voluntary and business. We have designed the curriculum to be flexible to allow students to apply their learning to topics most relevant to their personal or employers’ interests and goals. This programme is aimed primarily at those looking to establish new, or enhance existing, knowledge and skills in the field of character education. Studying at a distance means students can learn from anywhere, such as at home or in the workplace, in the UK or overseas.

Modules on the programme include:

Theories of Character, Virtues and Flourishing

Research Methods in Character Education

History and Politics of Character Education

Character Education Interventions in Schools and Organisations

Character Education Leadership in Schools and Organisations

The Virtuous Practitioner

Apply Now

Further details of the programme and how to apply are available on the course page or in the programme brochure. To find out more please contact Dr Tom Harrison on t.j.harrison@bham.ac.uk / 0121 414 4812

What is Character? Virtue Ethics in Education

The Centre's free online course 'What is Character? Virtue Ethics in Education' provides an introduction to not only the Centre's work, but also the wider debates in the field of character and character education. Running for two weeks, the course explores virtues and the role they play in helping both individuals and society flourish. Tapping into an increasing interest in character education and answering important questions such as, what is character and character education, why is it important and can it be taught?, the course draws on insights from leading experts at the Jubilee Centre, as well as hearing from practitioners with first-hand experience of the transformative power of implementing character education in day-to-day practices within a school. The course is delivered in partnership with the University of Birmingham and FutureLearn and anyone is eligible to sign up. Active participation is encouraged, with the FutureLearn platform providing message boards and discussion topics throughout the two-week course. 

The course will run for 2 weeks starting from the 14th October 2019. You can view the course page and register your interest here.

Building Character through Youth Social Action

The Centre's free online course, entitled, ‘Building Character through Youth Social Action’ provides an opportunity to learn about the history of social action, and how youth social action can help build character in young people.  The activities young people do to help others and the environment is becoming increasingly recognised as a way to improve communities and develop young people’s characters. Educational institutions, businesses, voluntary organisations and governments are investing in social action to provide opportunities to young people of all backgrounds. On this course, which runs over two weeks, you will explore the historical and theoretical roots of youth social action, and learn how social action can be a journey for young people, helping them build their character and confidence.

This course is delivered in partnership with the University of Birmingham and FutureLearn and is open for anyone with an interest in youth work and working with young people. Active participation is encouraged, with the FutureLearn platform providing message boards and discussion topics throughout the two-week course.

For more information regarding the course, including future course dates, please view the course page and register your interest here.