Menu Close
Sub Menu

Professor Candace Vogler

Professor Candace Vogler is Chair in Virtue Theory, a joint appointment with the Royal Institute of Philosophy. Professor Vogler is also the Principal Investigator on ‘Virtue, Happiness, and the Meaning of Life’, a project funded by the John Templeton Foundation and the David B. and Clara E. Stern Professor of Philosophy at the University of Chicago. She has authored two books, John Stuart Mill's Deliberative Landscape: An essay in Moral Psychology (Routledge, 2001) and Reasonably Vicious (Harvard University Press, 2002), and essays in ethics, social and political philosophy, philosophy and literature, cinema, psychoanalysis, gender studies, sexuality studies, and other areas. Her research interests are in practical philosophy (particularly the strand of work in moral philosophy indebted to Elizabeth Anscombe), practical reason, Kant's ethics, Marx, and Aquinas.

Selected Publications
  • Aristotle, Aquinas, Anscombe and the New Virtue Ethics (PDF)
  • Nothing Added: Intention §§19 and 20 (PDF)
  • Modern Moral Philosophy Again: Isolating the Promulgation Problem (DOC)
  • Some Remarks on Robert Audi's The Good in the Right (DOC)
  • Anscombe on Practical Inference (PDF)
  • The Critical Limits of Embodiment: Disability's Criticism (with C.A. Breckenridge) Public Culture - Volume 13, Number 3, Fall 2001, pp. 349-357 (Link)
  • Introduction: Violence, Redemption, and the Liberal Imagination (with P. Markell) Public Culture - Volume 15, Number 1, Winter 2003, pp. 1-10 (Link)
  • Sex and Talk Critical Inquiry, Vol. 24, No. 2, Intimacy (Winter, 1998), pp. 328-365 (PDF)
  • Social Imaginary, Ethics, and Methodological Individualism
    Public Culture - Volume 14, Number 3, Fall 2002, pp. 625-627 (Link)
  • Fourteen Sonnets for an Epidemic: Derek Jarman's The Angelic ConversationPublic Culture 2006 18(1):23-52; (Link)
  • We Were Never in Paradise in Practical Rationality and Preference: Essays for David Gauthier Ed. Christopher W. Morris, Arthur Ripstein (Link)
  • XIV—Modern Moral Philosophy Again: Isolating the Promulgation Problem
    Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, Volume 106, Number 3, May 2006 , pp. 345-362(18) (Link)
  • The Moral of the Story Critical Inquiry Volume 34, Number 1, Autumn 2007 (PDF)