menu
Sub Menu

Honorary Fellows & Visiting Professors

See below for information on our Honorary Senior Research Fellows and Visiting Professors: 

Visiting Professor: John Haldane

Professor John Haldane

Professor John Haldane is a Visiting Professor in the Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues. Professor Haldane is Professor of Philosophy at the University of St. Andrews and is the 2013-2014 Mary Ann Remick Senior Research Fellow at the Notre Dame Center for Ethics and Culture. He is also Director of the Centre for Ethics, Philosophy and Public Affairs at the University of St. Andrews and has held fellowships at the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, and Pittsburgh. He recently gave a paper at the Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues' 2nd annual conference 'Can Virtue be Measured' held in January 2014.  The full paper can be viewed here.

Research Interests 

• Central issues in philosophy of mind: intentionality, the nature of concepts, the ownership of thoughts, action explanation, physicalism, reductionism, and the nature of persons.
  • The history of philosophy: most particularly the medieval period (especially Aquinas) and the influence of scholasticism in metaphysics, philosophy of mind, and value theory; and eighteenth century responses to scepticism (especially Reid).
  • Theoretical and normative issues in social and political philosophy, ethics and aesthetics: including liberalism (its varieties and rivals), the nature and justification of education, the (im)permissibility of killing; and the natural and built environments.
  • Artistic, educational, and theological issues: approached through the methods of those disciplines rather than through philosophy. For example, the role and forms of art and spiritual education, the sources and function of doctrine. 

Selected Publications 

'Reasoning about the human good, and the role of the public philosopher', Haldane, J. J. (2013) In: Reason, Morality and Law: The philosophy of John Finnis. Keown, J. & George, R. P. (eds.). 1st ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 37-55

'Educational Studies and the Map of Philosophy', Haldane, J. J. (2012) In : British Journal of Educational Studies. 60, 1, p. 3-15 

'Is Every Action Morally Significant?', Haldane, J. J. Jul (2011) In : Philosophy. 86, 3, p. 375-404 

'Is God Necessary for Morality?: An exchange with Raimond Gaita', Haldane, J. J. (2011) Truth and Faith in Ethics. Ramsay, H. (ed.). Exeter: imprint-academic, p. 252-256, 262, 264, 266-7, 269 (St Andrews Studies in Philosophy and Public Affairs). 

Honorary Fellow: John Upton

John Upton

John Upton is a criminal barrister (pupillage at Chambers of Jonathan Goldberg QC) who has appeared for both the prosecution and defence in the Magistrates and Crown Court. John works as Counsel: Audits and Investigations at Baker Hughes, a top-tier oilfield service company, where John is responsible for conduct of FCPA / UK Bribery Act / Fraud internal investigations on a global basis but with particular emphasis on CIS and the Middle East. John is also responsible for conduct of anti – corruption audits globally and is involved with ethics and compliance policy development and training.

John was previously a lawyer with the Financial Services Authority as FSA criminal policy lead, Counsel to the FSA Report into the failure of the Royal Bank of Scotland and as an enforcement lawyer, specialising in Insider Dealing and Market Abuse cases.

John has contributed to The Times, The Guardian and the Daily Telegraph and is a contributor to the London Review of Books. John was called to the Bar in 1995 from the Inns of Court School of Law and is a member of Middle Temple. He taught constitutional and public law to undergraduates at LSE and was awarded the LSE Graduate teaching prize for 2007.

E: johndominicupton@googlemail.com

Honorary Senior Research Fellow: Professor Marvin W. Berkowitz

Professor Marvin W. Berkowitz

Marvin Berkowitz is the inaugural Sanford N. McDonnell Endowed Professor of Character Education, and Co-Director of the Center for Character and Citizenship at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, and University of Missouri President’s Thomas Jefferson Professor. 

Marvin wrote a paper for the Jubilee Centre's Insight Series titled 'The Expanding Universe of Character Education: One Man’s Journey' which offers an insight into his background and academic career.

His scholarly focus and expertise is in character education and development. He is author of You Can’t Teach Through a Rat: And Other Epiphanies for Educators (2012), Parenting for Good (2005), and is founding co-editor of the Journal of Character Education.

Honorary Senior Research Fellow: Dame Julia Cleverdon DCVO, CBE

Dame Julia Cleverdon DCVO, CBE

Dame Julia Cleverdon DCVO CBE is Vice President of Business in the Community and former Special Adviser to The Prince’s Charities. Julia is Co-founder of the #iwill Campaign, also known as Step Up To Serve, which was convened by the Prince of Wales and launched with the support of three party leaders in November 2013. She is now a trustee of Step Up To Serve, which by 2020 aims to get 60 percent of young people involved in practical action in the service of others. The Campaign works closely with the Jubilee Centre each year to recognise young ambassadors for their commitment to youth social action. She is a board member of NCS, The Careers and Enterprise Company and The UK Holocaust Memorial Foundation and chairs the HR committee of NCVO, the National Literacy Trust and Transform Society.

Through her work Julia promotes collaboration among senior leaders from business, government, education and community organisations to build a more robust civil society. You can read more about Julia's various roles in charities on her website.

Honorary Senior Research Fellow: Professor Randall Curren

Professor Randall Curren

Randall Curren is a Professor, and Chair of Department, at the University of Rochester's Department of Philosophy. He joined the University of Rochester’s faculty in 1988 after receiving his PhD from the University of Pittsburgh in 1985. He held the first joint Chair established between the Royal Institute of Philosophy (London) and the Jubilee Centre between 2013 and 2015. 

He has published numerous chapters in books, journal articles, reviews, notes, and encyclopedia entries. He is the author of Aristotle on the Necessity of Public Education (Rowman & Littlefield, 2000) and Education for Sustainable Development: A Philosophical Assessment (2009), and editor of A Companion to the Philosophy of Education (Blackwell, Ltd., 2003; 2006; 2011 in Chinese) and Philosophy of Education: An Anthology (Blackwell, 2007). He is also the Editor-in-Chief of the international journal, Theory and Research in Education (SAGE).

Honorary Senior Research Fellow: The Rt. Hon. Nicky Morgan MP

The Rt. Hon. Nicky Morgan MP

The Rt. Hon. Nicky Morgan MP is Chair of the Treasury Select Committee and has been a Member of Parliament since 2010. Prior to this, Nicky studied law at Oxford University.

She served as Secretary of State for Education and Minister for Women and Equalities (2014 - 16). During her time as Secretary of State for Education, Nicky delivered the 2014 Priestley Lecture at the University of Birmingham's School of Education in which she emphasised the importance of character education.

She is the author of Taught not Caught: Educating for Character in the 21st Century, a publication that advocates for the necessity of character education in schools. You can read more about Nicky Morgan MP at her website.

Honorary Senior Research Fellow: Benjamin Perks

Benjamin Perks

Benjamin is a diplomat specializing in human rights in low and middle income countries. He has been advocating for, and advising governments on access and quality of education, child protection, health and justice sector reform. He has served in Afghanistan, Kosovo, Albania, India, Georgia and Montenegro.  His work has included collaboration on introducing and measuring the impact of character education in both mainstream education reform and specialized child protection services for those affected by adverse childhood experiences. 

Honorary Senior Research Fellow: Professor Steve Thoma

Professor Steve Thoma

Professor Steve Thoma is University Research Professor at the College of Education, University of Alabama. He joined the faculty at the College of Education in 1986 shortly after he received his doctorate from the University of Minnesota.

He is internationally known for his research in moral psychology, and particularly for creating and validating different measurement strategies in the social/moral domain and showing how they can best be used.

In 2015, Steve became Chair in Moral Psychology and Psychometrics at the Jubilee Centre during which he worked on the Soldiers of Character project exploring the role of character and virtue in the British Army.

Steve is also a Fellow of the American Psychological Association and the American Education Research Association.

Honorary Senior Research Fellow: Ben Slade

Ben Slade

Ben Slade is the CEO of SkillForce, a national education charity leading the way in how character and resilience is taught and delivered in schools. Prior to joining SkillForce in early 2015, Ben spent three years as Executive Headteacher for Cognita, the UK’s largest independent school provider.

In 2015, Ben conceived the idea of the Prince William Award programme, to which the Jubilee Centre is the Academic Partner. The PWA programme aims to help young people build their character, resilience and confidence to empower them to “be their best”. In September 2018, HRH The Duke of Cambridge visited the University of Birmingham for the inaugural graduation of the Award. 

Honorary Senior Research Fellow: Dan Wright

Dan Wright

Dan Wright has been the Headmaster of The London Oratory School since January 2018. Dan was the Jubilee Centre's first Teaching Fellow in September – December 2014, and is lead author on the Secondary Programme of Study, produced by the Centre and used by hundreds of schools.

Dan read History at St John’s College, Cambridge and began teaching at Gordon’s School in 2000. He moved to Godalming College as Head of History in 2004, where he subsequently became Director of Faculty. He then moved to take up the role of Deputy Headmaster of St George’s College, Weybridge, a leading co-educational Catholic independent day school for 11-18 year olds, in 2015.